Monday, March 5, 2012

40 Days Fast for Freedom Week 1 Reflections

There are a few local ministries hosting a 40 day fast to raise awareness about CSEC (Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children), and encourage intercession on behalf of trafficking victims and perpetrators. It began this past Monday (2/27). I thought I would post some relfections from the next 40 days as a way to track my thoughts and anything God shows me during this time.

I am not fasting from food. I am fasting from my usual evening activities that take away time I should be in prayer and reading my Bible. I have recently been in the habit of watching TV shows on my computer and snacking right before going to bed. The whole time thinking "I should be reading my Bible and praying, but this TV show just started...I'll pray later". Later turns into never. Instead of filling my mind with senseless (although very funny) entertainment, I should be filling my heart, mind, and soul with the Word of God.

I started reading the book of Joshua about a month ago and decided to stick with it during the fast. I finished reading the book last night. Reading the book of Joshua has been a good reminder of God's power and sovereignty. God works in ways that surpass human comprehension and ability.
  • God caused a whole city to crumble with the sound trumpets and shouting (Chap. 6)
  • He made the sun stand still long enough for Joshua and his army to defeat their foes. (Chap. 10)
  • Israel fought many battles and God provided victory for them. (Chaps. 6, 8, 10, 11)
I also noticed in these chapters that although it was God working and accomplishing His will, the Israelites still had to work hard and fight with all their might. It takes work and diligence to follow God. We rest in His sovereignty, but this rest is an active one. God doesn't tell us to sit back and watch Him work. He tells us to join Him in the work and He shows what we can do to serve Him.

Thinking of this in context to fighting injustice reminds me that even when I don't see how victory is possible, God is a mighty God who garauntees victory. Even when there are many battles to fight, God is with us and has commanded that we not be discouraged (Joshua 1:9).

I have thought alot about the whole "now and not yet" philosophy. We now are saved and given new life, but its not yet fully realized. We are given victory over death and garaunteed everlasting life with God, but we do not have that new life in its fullest yet. So for now, we battle against sin and the darkness of this world (a darkness we find in our own hearts far too many times). This victory we have in Christ is not an excuse to wait for His return, but use that hope to drive on to continue in the fight against injustice until He does return.

No comments:

Post a Comment